I made it! I’m forty! I rang in the beginning of my fifth decade at karaoke last night and have spent the entirety of today watching true crime, ordering minions to bring me burritos, and thinking about what the next years are going to bring.
I feel good about everything I accomplished in the last year. It was definitely a bumpy year, but there were enough good things to offset the bad.
I started talking last night about doing a 50 before 50…that’s approximately five things a year, and is doable.
Some of the ideas I’m tossing around come from the unfinished items on my 40 before 40, some come from my life list, and some are brand new.
On the list so far:
- Go to Romania (book research!)
- Finish a 50K trail race
- Find a satisfying job
- Publish at least two books/year
- Make my health (physical and mental) a priority
- Get that Iceland photo framed
- Meet my PSM in real life
- Be my own boss (this seems to directly contradict #3, but it doesn’t…)
- Survive the Bean’s early teenage years.
- Get rid of all debt (excepting the student loan and any mortgage stuff)
I’ll keep working on the list, but if you have any suggestions, let me know!
And now, it must be French 75 time!
Here’s to another great year!
- It is the eve of that most blessed of holidays – Amymas. Tonight is the night that I come down your chimney, drink the French 75 that you’ve left out for me, and also take all the gifts you’ve left out for me. (It was suggested to me that the leavers of gifts and gin weren’t getting anything in return, but I maintain the satisfaction of appeasing an Amy is return enough. Also, if you leave me more than 2 French 75s, I will totally make out with you. So, plan accordingly.)
- One of the biggest items on my 40 before 40 list was to publish a novel. Although I didn’t quite get it in before my birthday, the fact that you can totally preorder the book means I still win.
- Last night, I took Alvie to a movie. Although it wasn’t his first movie theater experience, it was my first theater experience with him. We saw the Lego Batman movie at our local theater. Alvie got to have pizza, popcorn, and juice. He announced to me that this was my birthday present from him. So generous, that one. (But really, not a bad mother/son birthday experience. I would’ve preferred that he gave me the gift of suddenly figuring out how to read and a burning to desire to shake mama the perfect martini, but there’s always next year…)
Remember yesterday when I was full of hope and optimism and had finished my digital book uploads and all was beautiful?
Yeah. So about that…
I got the proof of my paperback today and didn’t quite like the way the margins worked. It’s another 24 hour turnaround to make the changes, upload it, and make sure it looks right then proof again, but I’ve got time.
I fixed the margins. Swore for a bit. Then, I noticed something…odd. There was a typo. And another. And an extra space. And a couple names spelled wrong once each. And three end quotes facing the wrong direction. And then more things! And more! AND MOAR!
I have decided that everything is fixed now. I made changes, uploaded new digital files for the ebooks, and resubmitted the paperback for review. Funny story? Approximately 10 seconds after resubmitting the paperback file I saw ANOTHER error. It is admittedly a very, very small error. I was able to fix it in the ebooks, but I’m thinking that the paperbacks might just have one, eensy, weensy mistake. For character.
I see typos in most books that I read. They exist. I’m great at finding other people’s errors. But there is no way to 100% eradicate all typos, right? RIGHT?!
(I may have to fix the paperback file. I am ahead of schedule with it, so what’s one more change?)
***abrupt subject change***
Did you know that it’s only two days until my birthday? Did you? Well, if you were wondering what the perfect thing to get me forty 40th (such a milestone!) birthday, maybe go check this out…
I will be forty in 23 days. TWENTY-THREE. DAYS.
There are days that I feel old, but most of the time I have trouble reconciling the number forty with how I feel.
The last thirteen months have been some of the hardest of my life. Between separation, divorce, job loss, and no job found…it’s been stressful to say the least.
I didn’t get through my list of 40. Some of that is due to financial constraints (I shot my wad on the big one – going to Iceland) and some is due to the inability to do things because of depression and anxiety.
You know what, though? I don’t care. There were some stretch goals on there. I’m not going to rehash everything I didn’t do, but I’m going to show you what I did do.
- Attend a live concert
- Climb a tree
- Go to the local nude beach
- Go to the opera
- Sing a new song at karaoke
- Take a barre class
- Take a cooking class
- Funky hair color
- Try hot yoga
- Do a fun thing with Bean every day of his summer vacation
- Rosé in the garden in July
- Make a cheese that needs to age 10 months and eat it on my 40th birthday
- Become passable in Swedish (I’m still doing lessons!)
- Develop a habit of meditation
- Get back into my DIY habits –bread, stock, cheese, jam, etc.
- Perfect the homemade pie crust.
- Take a good photo
- Try 12 new cheeses
- Drink a bottle of expensive champagne
- Get a stamp in my passport
- Meet three ‘in the computer friends’ in real life. (Still waiting on my PSM)
- Publish my first book – this should happen this month or very soon after depending on how long it takes me to format stuff. (If anyone is interested in an ARC, let me know!)
So – twenty-four of forty things. That’s not a great success rate, but I’m really happy about how much I managed to do even when I was so anxious I could barely leave the house. I don’t plan on hitting any of the missing 16 items in the next 23 days. My primary goals for February are to get my book out and find a goddamn job. Oh – and to turn 40. Of course.
Don’t worry – I have a whole list of things I’m planning on accomplishing in the next year (although maybe not 41 things…). Stay tuned for all the ways I’m going to be awesome next year.
Posted in Adventures of a Domestic Goddess, Aggressive Happiness, Blessed are the Cheesemakers, Cake or Death, Gin, Cheese & Other Necessities, Made of Awesomesauce, Priorities!, Woot!, Write Now!, Yes I Can!
Tagged 40 before 40, birthdays, goals, iceland, travel, writing, year of me
Yay! 2016 is over! I already feel better!
It’s the beginning of the new year. The year I’ve been looking forward to starting for approximately 367 days.
Celebrating my New Year
I am totally a New Year’s Resolutions type of person. I love the idea of a blank slate, and I usually do pretty well with the annual goals I set for myself.
So what? I’m a Buffy nerd…(let me know if you get it!)
So, without further ado, here are my
2017 Resolutions – aka The Year of Me take Two
- Publish two novels
- Write two novels
- Complete two races
- Take two just for fun trips
- Volunteer two times
- Try two new things
- Read two times as many books as I read in 2016 (2017 goal: 185) – one of the ways I’m planning on doing this is taking my PSM’s 2017 Be Better Book Challenge (please note that one of her resolutions is to come visit me, which would, not incidentally, fulfill one of my #40before40 goals!11!!!!!)
- Log twice as many exercise hours/month as I logged on average in 2016 (3.5 hours/week OR 182 hours)
- Take two minutes each day to be grateful for what I have (it’s #365happydays v2.0)
- Brush/floss/moisturize 2x/day (most days) (it’s really the moisturizing I need to work on…and flossing more)
I probably should’ve included “procrastinate half as much,” but I didn’t want to set myself up for failure right off the bat! (Please note that my New Year’s resolution post is going out on the evening of 1/3/17…)
I feel so positive going into this year. I’m going to turn 40, publish a couple books, move in with my boyfriend, hang out with my PSM, get a new job, and get healthier…
Life is pretty fucking good right about now.
Posted in Aggressive Happiness, Friends & Family, It All Comes Back to Buffy, Made of Awesomesauce, Priorities!, Run Away!, The Beer Guy, Where's My Towel, Woot!, Write Now!
Tagged 40 before 40, anxiety, books, exercise, goals, health, healthy habits, publishing, reading, resolutions, the beer guy, writing, year of me