The Beer Guy and I had our first kid-free and healthy weekend since beginning our cohabitation. We celebrated by attempting to turn our place from a set for Hoarders into comfortable, livable space.
Stuff that needed to go in storage made it’s way up into the attic. My rug that’s been rolled up on the floor of Bean’s room was taken out and now graces our living room. I got rid of the extra boxes and other random crap in the kid’s room and put everything away.
A home was found for the clothes that didn’t fit into my new dresser space. (Some of those clothes went to live at Goodwill.)
There are no longer boxes of stuff randomly scattered around the house!
We have a little ways to go in our office space yet – my books are all unpacked and double-stacked on the shelves, but that’s the room that’s the least far along.
Everything is coming together and it’s starting to feel more like “our” home and less like I’m a visitor here for an extended stay. I still feel tentative about putting things away, but I’m working through that.
Most importantly, however, is that while we were moving stuff around in the attic, two (seriously, TWO!) unicorn drinking horns were found.
This is good news because (a) my unicorn birthday piñata was missing a horn and the previous solution, come up with by two of my good friends, was to use a dildo and now I don’t have to go dildo shopping! and also (b) because the beer guy had two unicorn drinking horns, and obviously that means that he has awesome friends who give amusing gifts.
(Eleven days until my birthday!)
As for my weekly goals – let’s check it out!
- Move 5 times – I walked on Tuesday and ran on Wednesday and spent Saturday & Sunday moving heavy things…not my five days of exercise yet, but getting there.
- Fruit every day- epic fail. I don’t know what happened to me last week. I didn’t eat much of anything during the day TBH. This is a thing that happens to me when I get too stressed.
- Lunch every day – Yeah. See #2.
- Water at all times – I did pretty good with this! I unearthed my soda stream and got through at least a liter of fizzy water/day, plus additional glasses of still water
- MOAR veggies – again. #2
I’m going to keep on keeping on with these until I feel comfortable that I’m consistent (and then I’ll set new goals).
- Move x5 – (Monday: walk/run, Tuesday: yoga, Wednesday: walk/run, Thursday: swim, Friday: walk/run, Sat: rest or yoga, Sun: rest or yoga)
- Fruit every day
- Lunch every day – already lunched today! This would be better if I’d also breakfasted. Baby steps.
- Water at all times
- MOAR veggies
Over the weekend, Alvie Bean and I did a lot of cooking. We made waffles, and a frittata, and homemade bread. When he was breaking the eggs (his favorite part of cooking), he said, “I am the best at breaking eggs. No one breaks eggs better than me.”
That same day, he presented some #altfacts about how clean his room was.
Last night, he tried to convince the beer guy that he (Bean) had made the bread all by himself with no assistance from me.
In addition, when he’s tired or hungry, he gets very cranky. Cranky enough to hang up on other heads of state, I imagine. Certainly cranky enough to tell everyone who thwarts his plans or offers a differing (i.e. factual) account of events that “they’re rude and no longer invited to his birthday.”
Living with a tiny presidential figure can be exhausting. The one saving grace from all this is that he’s a very nice kid (as long as he’s not hungry or tired). He has taken it on himself to monitor the cats’ water supply, checks on Mr. Fish a lot, and never hesitates with a compliment. (Also, his hands are totally normal-sized for a 4.5-year-old.)
Today, my Bean is mildly sick. Low-grade fever, headache, chest ache, and general malaise sporadically interrupted by bursts of energy and the desire to velcro himself to specifically when I’m hitting “send” on a job application.
I have an update on the first week of my renewed “take care of Amy” plans announced last week.
Health Goals: 1/30 – 2/5
- 30 minutes of movement x 5 (yoga, walking, swimming) – I ended up getting sick. AGAIN. I did short bursts of activity most days (unpacking books, rearranging the new office space), but no real exercise. The plan for today was to go for a walk/run, but I’m home with Mr. Sickie, so I might be SOL unless I can sneak in a walk when the beer guy gets home.)
- A fruit with breakfast every day (done for today!) – 75% success! I forgot over the weekend. You know, the days that I was supposed to be modeling good eating behavior for the kid.
- Eat lunch every day – 6/7 success!
- Stay hydrated! Glass of water on hand at all times. – success! I drank all the water this week.
- MOAR veggies (at least 2 servings/day) – meh. I need to do better.
- Bonus: no arguing with racists on the internet (unless they start it) – mostly success. 😀
I’m going to go ahead and redo those goals for this week.
- Move (Tuesday: swim, Wednesday: walk/run, Thursday: swim, Friday: walk/run, Sat: rest or yoga, Sun: walk/run)
- Fruit every day
- Lunch every day
- Water at all times
- MOAR veggies
(18 days until my birthday!)
I will be forty in 23 days. TWENTY-THREE. DAYS.
There are days that I feel old, but most of the time I have trouble reconciling the number forty with how I feel.
The last thirteen months have been some of the hardest of my life. Between separation, divorce, job loss, and no job found…it’s been stressful to say the least.
I didn’t get through my list of 40. Some of that is due to financial constraints (I shot my wad on the big one – going to Iceland) and some is due to the inability to do things because of depression and anxiety.
You know what, though? I don’t care. There were some stretch goals on there. I’m not going to rehash everything I didn’t do, but I’m going to show you what I did do.
- Attend a live concert
- Climb a tree
- Go to the local nude beach
- Go to the opera
- Sing a new song at karaoke
- Take a barre class
- Take a cooking class
- Funky hair color
- Try hot yoga
- Do a fun thing with Bean every day of his summer vacation
- Rosé in the garden in July
- Make a cheese that needs to age 10 months and eat it on my 40th birthday
- Become passable in Swedish (I’m still doing lessons!)
- Develop a habit of meditation
- Get back into my DIY habits –bread, stock, cheese, jam, etc.
- Perfect the homemade pie crust.
- Take a good photo
- Try 12 new cheeses
- Drink a bottle of expensive champagne
- Get a stamp in my passport
- Meet three ‘in the computer friends’ in real life. (Still waiting on my PSM)
- Publish my first book – this should happen this month or very soon after depending on how long it takes me to format stuff. (If anyone is interested in an ARC, let me know!)
So – twenty-four of forty things. That’s not a great success rate, but I’m really happy about how much I managed to do even when I was so anxious I could barely leave the house. I don’t plan on hitting any of the missing 16 items in the next 23 days. My primary goals for February are to get my book out and find a goddamn job. Oh – and to turn 40. Of course.
Don’t worry – I have a whole list of things I’m planning on accomplishing in the next year (although maybe not 41 things…). Stay tuned for all the ways I’m going to be awesome next year.
Posted in Adventures of a Domestic Goddess, Aggressive Happiness, Blessed are the Cheesemakers, Cake or Death, Gin, Cheese & Other Necessities, Made of Awesomesauce, Priorities!, Woot!, Write Now!, Yes I Can!
Tagged 40 before 40, birthdays, goals, iceland, travel, writing, year of me
So, here we are ten days into the new presidential administration. I can’t even with everything that’s happened. I’ve been too sick to go to any marches, but I have made a couple of phone calls and angrily tweeted a lot, so there’s that?
I don’t even know what to do. I feel lost. There’s so much going on at the national/global level that I fundamentally disagree with. But at the same time I’m sick. Still. More sick. I’m unemployed. Still. Not even an interview since before Thanksgiving. And I’ve been moving. And while I’m pleased to be moving in with the Beer Guy, I am displeased about moving in general because our place currently looks like we ordered the Hoarders starter pack and it’s like walking through a labyrinth to get to my desk and computer.
That is the back half of a rat. The rats that have been running about being nuisances since late July/early August. The ones that I knew were in the walls/ceilings. The ones ignored by my landlords until the rats did $200+ worth of damage to my stuff earlier this month. The rats that decided to come out for a big face-to-face Saturday while I was trying to empty & clean the old place. (The landlord came out later that day after I sent that photo and found a nest with tea lights and “clothing items” which I can only assume were my missing lacy thongs. Ratcliffe was trying to set some kind of mood, I guess.)
In just under two hours, I will be out of that place for good and forever. *full body shudder*
ANYWAY – As active as I’m staying in politics (this is so unacceptable on so many levels), and as much as there is no way I’m going to promise to keep this a politics-free zone, I will still mostly be concentrating on my four areas of interest:
- Book reviews (new one tomorrow for Elizabeth Hunter’s “Omens & Artifacts!)
- Writing stuff (I should have my second round of edits back from the editor no later than tomorrow!
- Amusing kid stories (we had a big conversation about #altfacts yesterday and why it’s not okay to tell lies, even if you won’t get caught)
- Health stuff. Like I said above, I am sick. Again. This is the third horrible cold I’ve had in two months. My immune system is shit. This is due to the triad of stress, poor eating habits (I’m getting better!), and very little exercise. I have to do better for me. I can’t constantly be ill, because that sucks. I’m going to start blogging more about this journey again. I used to do weekly goals for health stuff, and I’m going to start doing that again to hold myself accountable.
The Lego Movie is serious business. Lord Business.
Health Goals: 1/30 – 2/5
- 30 minutes of movement x 5 (yoga, walking, swimming)
- A fruit with breakfast every day (done for today!)
- Eat lunch every day
- Stay hydrated! Glass of water on hand at all times.
- MOAR veggies (at least 2 servings/day)
- Bonus: no arguing with racists on the internet (unless they start it)
Self care is going to be even more important as we move through the altreality that is our current political climate. (In the past week, I’ve agreed with Cheney, the Koch Brothers, and a friend’s father who usually just drives me a little bonkers.)
Posted in Aggressive Happiness, Priorities!, Run Away!, The Beer Guy, Where's My Towel
Tagged alvie bean, book reviews, exercise, goals, health, healthy eating, the beer guy, training, writing
Yay! 2016 is over! I already feel better!
It’s the beginning of the new year. The year I’ve been looking forward to starting for approximately 367 days.
Celebrating my New Year
I am totally a New Year’s Resolutions type of person. I love the idea of a blank slate, and I usually do pretty well with the annual goals I set for myself.
So what? I’m a Buffy nerd…(let me know if you get it!)
So, without further ado, here are my
2017 Resolutions – aka The Year of Me take Two
- Publish two novels
- Write two novels
- Complete two races
- Take two just for fun trips
- Volunteer two times
- Try two new things
- Read two times as many books as I read in 2016 (2017 goal: 185) – one of the ways I’m planning on doing this is taking my PSM’s 2017 Be Better Book Challenge (please note that one of her resolutions is to come visit me, which would, not incidentally, fulfill one of my #40before40 goals!11!!!!!)
- Log twice as many exercise hours/month as I logged on average in 2016 (3.5 hours/week OR 182 hours)
- Take two minutes each day to be grateful for what I have (it’s #365happydays v2.0)
- Brush/floss/moisturize 2x/day (most days) (it’s really the moisturizing I need to work on…and flossing more)
I probably should’ve included “procrastinate half as much,” but I didn’t want to set myself up for failure right off the bat! (Please note that my New Year’s resolution post is going out on the evening of 1/3/17…)
I feel so positive going into this year. I’m going to turn 40, publish a couple books, move in with my boyfriend, hang out with my PSM, get a new job, and get healthier…
Life is pretty fucking good right about now.
Posted in Aggressive Happiness, Friends & Family, It All Comes Back to Buffy, Made of Awesomesauce, Priorities!, Run Away!, The Beer Guy, Where's My Towel, Woot!, Write Now!
Tagged 40 before 40, anxiety, books, exercise, goals, health, healthy habits, publishing, reading, resolutions, the beer guy, writing, year of me